Thursday, December 9, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Sorry that it has been so long since my last update. I’ve not been off my little island since my last posting and now that I have time I figured that I’d share what I’ve been up to the last several weeks.

Halloween went well in Angaur. I got both of my brothers a costume. Valdez was the grim reaper and Cortez was supposed to be Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. I got some pumpkins and set out to have some fun this Halloween. Regrettably, Cortez decided that it’d be a good idea to try chewing betel nut with tobacco early Halloween afternoon. Being a inexperienced chewer, he swallowed more than he spat. The unfortunate result was violent vomiting for the next 36 hours. I was mildly sympathetic, but treated the situation as a good learning experience for him. I’m pretty sure that he hasn’t chewed since. Sad to say, the island of Angaur did not get to see Captain Jack Sparrow this Halloween. Maybe next year!

After Halloween not much has been going on. I’m still teaching at the school. This semester we’re focusing on microorganisms in my science class. We’ve cultured bacteria in Petri dishes, examined molds and fungi on the island and looked at everything we could think of under a microscope. English class is going well too, I focused a lot on writing. The students seem to be getting into it; at least they stopped complaining about it.

About two weeks ago I took a spur-of-the-moment weekend field trip to the old lighthouse in Angaur. During WWII it was a fully functioning lighthouse that was built by the Japanese. It toppled over during a battle I’m told. Now nature is in the process of reclaiming the massive tower and it is quite a sight. Many of the students had not seen this landmark on their own island, so I was glad to be able to share a bit of their own history with them.

And I made a turkey for the first time. I have (well, had) one of the only ovens in Angaur in my house. So when the President of the Legislature for Angaur State donated a turkey for the school, I was volunteered to make it. It’s funny what they assume I’m capable of just because I’m American. It was to be served on Wednesday for the student’s lunch as a Thanksgiving treat. Anyways, I woke up at 3:00am and put the bird in. After consulting friends and family both local and abroad, I finally had a game plan. I cut up some onions, garlic, and used what seasonings I had locally available to get it all flavored up. Then I put the bird in the oven and basted every 15 minutes (which I was later told was a waste of time). At the 5:30 baste, the electric oven started sparking and popping with loud and bright explosions. Annoyed, I unplugged the oven and thought about my options. It’s 5:30 in the morning and I’ve got an almost cooked turkey. I could either cut it up and cook it on the stove, or try the oven again. SO, I plugged in the oven again. Luckily the fireworks stopped, but the heating coil in the oven stopped working. Fortunately, Valdez was “helping” and he turned the knob all the way to “BROIL” and the upper coil heated up- so I spent the next couple hours trying to keep the oven at a somewhat constant temperate, which is harder than one might think. In the end, the bird was completely cooked and transported to school to be eaten. I got many compliments, but I’m pretty sure that they were just being nice.








Valdez cleaning his pumpking before cleaning on Halloween.

One of the Trick-or-Treaters

Our two Jack-o-Laterns and one carved papaya.

Magnified MSG- they eat it like salt here. Someone had donated a ProScope, which is like a microscope, but you connect it to your computer; it came in handy this quarter for my science class.

My sole eighth grader. Because he is the only one in his class, the room is partly used as storage.

Cortez showing off his slingshot skills.

Three of my students and one harmless community member who enjoys his alcohol a little more frequently than he probably should.

My student conquering his fear of heights by climbing a ladder to the top of the old lighthouse.
The adjacent building to the lighthouse has been used as a hangout for generations of Angaur youth, as evident by the graffiti. My students were laughing when they saw the current principal's name carved into the wall from when she was young.My students leaving their mark.

One student took my picture was I was telling him not to touch my camera. He insisted I put it on my blog so everyone could see how mean I am.

My turkey once it arrived at school.

My students did not believe that I could make a turkey.


Serving up a feast - Fried chicken, rice pilaf, turkey, stuffing, gravy, oranges, and pumpkin pie.

Kids enjoying their Thanksgiving meal.










2 comments:

  1. Great post, Rob. Love the pictures! Excited to see you Sunday and maybe catch up a bit during MST.

    ReplyDelete