Thursday, October 14, 2010

Liberation Day

Liberation Day is a state holiday for Angaur. We celebrate the liberation of the people of Angaur sixty seven years ago. It is a day to remember those who were affected by the war in the Pacific and to celebrate the ending of WWII.

Anyways, the celebration has since evolved into a day-long competition. The island is separated into four sections. The part of the island in which you inhabit dictates what team you are on. There are four teams: Red, Blue, Green and Orange. Because I live on “I’Waikiki” section of the island, I’m on the Green team. The students and adults all take part in the competitions, it is just like a track and field day with activities ranging from relays, three-legged races, spear throwing, and a baseball tournament to top it all off.

The kids are required to participate, most are very excited. We’ve been practicing after school for the last few weeks. Rain or shine, the kids have been sprinting, pushing tires, kicking soccer balls while blindfolded and jumping rope to prepare for this day. Prizes for the students were notebooks and pencils. Most students get enough every Liberation Day to last an entire school year.

To entice the adults to participate, there are cash prizes. I participated in a relay where I had to balance a bottle of water on my head and race around the track. My team won (of course) and we got to split a $32 prize four ways, making me $8 richer!

Overall, a great time was had by all. It was really great to see the island get together like that and really enjoy the day. A band was hired to perform that night for everyone. The commotion was quite a change from the normal calmness that this island is usually known for.

Here are some pictures from the day:

Mom and Dad


Relay Race

My brother, Lopez, showing off his winnings

Me showing off my winnings.

My brother, Cortez, pushing a tire.

Another tire-pusher

My host mom helping team Green win the relay.

The students watching the games


More tire-pushing



2 comments:

  1. HI there
    I expected more picture since you took your good camera back with you! Seriously it is nice to see pictures posted - good one of mom and dad (I didn't know we looked so good!) love ya -
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took your camera back?!

    ReplyDelete