Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ak Milruul a kall. (I prepared food)

I’ve gotten the question, “Rob, what do you eat?” so let me go over each meal and tell you what is normally on the menu.

Breakfast: Bread- white bread with peanut butter and jelly. Everyday.
Lunch: Rice with fried fish, crab patties, or fried chicken
Dinner: Rice with a wider selection of main dishes- Fish (raw, fried, grilled, or in soup), Chicken (fried, baked, or on a special occasion grilled), Crab (crab patties, ogaib, or whole coconut crabs), and canned/processed delicacies (SPAM, Hormel Luncheon Loaf, hot dogs, and corned beef).

For the most part my host family cooks for me and when I get to cook it is a little bit of a novelty for me. So, I got a chance to cook last night and my main dish (chili) won the approval of my host mother. I made her take a picture of me cooking so that I could let the people at home know that I’m actually cooking for myself a little bit.

Also, as an update for my garden- the only thing that has turned into anything edible are the green beans. I was able to get enough to go with a meal of some sort. My host mother took them and told me she’d “fix that one”. It was thrown into a pot with a can of corned beef. Not quite what I had in mind, but good nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Robert!! I can't wait to hear what other things you will cook for your family. Andy bought a 19 lb ham the other week and cooked it up.... we now have 18.5 lbs. of ham in the freezer... I am finding all sorts of fun things to make with ham. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad just bought you a new bunch of seeds - maybe you will get some of the herbs to grow! I think I will send some more chili too!

    ReplyDelete